Thursday, March 28, 2013

Uganda or bust part 2


Almost 2 years ago I read the book titled Radical by David Platt. -----------I highly recommend you stop reading my blog, go to Amazon or CBD and look that up if you don't know about it already. Go.....NOW! Ok, now that you're back and went ahead and bought a copy for yourself, let's pick the story up again.------------- I know everything is not based on feelings, but bear with me....I felt a stirring inside when I was finished with the book. I felt ancy and started looking for ways to serve here on island. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but everything I saw I wasn't necessarily drawn to. Looking back, I was looking for that one big thing to serve for or in....when God was just telling me to serve where I was and those around me.

I know I messed up. I overlooked those in need and opportunities God had made just for me. I am thankful for the times I have grasped the fact that God was hitting me over the head and telling me....DO! Thanking Him for His patience with me. Last November I was reading a book that mentioned an orphanage in Uganda. The name sounded familiar, so I went to look it up. I spent some time looking over their website and then noticed that they accept volunteers. I was intrigued and left the website open, but closed my laptop.

At the time my sister had encouraged me to read through James. The day after finding the website, I read James 1:27 which states, "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." Um, God, are you talking to me through this verse? How many times have I read this particular verse, but it wasn't until that time where it hit me like a ton of bricks. The ESV uses the word "visit"....I felt God saying I needed to go to them.

The very next day (day 3 in this succession), I read an article (which has since been taken down from the world wide web) about ways singles can serve that married people can't. The first way was to "Go big for Jesus." Are you kidding me right now? I'm getting the sense that God wants me to go serve Him at an orphanage overseas. But where? How (I live paycheck to paycheck right now)? When?


No comments:

Post a Comment