Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Not your typical move

This is not your typical move....OK, I should reword that phrase...this is not my typical move. You see, the normal American moves within the 48 states...normally. You get a few people who move up to Alaska or HI and then there's always the military going all over the world...but for us little people...

Well, you see, it's like this. Within the last 10 years my moves have been across the ocean. Yep, you read that right....across the OCEAN. I am quite good at shipping my life via the USPS in a timely manner. These moves have also required me to have to fly. Going by car or boat just isn't an option. Now, these flights that I take have meal options - granted, now-a-days you have to pay for most of them, but still, it's an entire meal. These flights also have movies - at least 2 movies and then a few hours of regular TV. Unless you're somehow special and get a behind the seat entertainment system or a handheld one from Hawaiian Airlines (which I wasn't that special...or didn't want to pay the extra cost). At one point I was allowed to take up to 70lbs for international flights, but that has been changed to 50lbs - which, thankfully, is the same as domestic flights.

I also have a place and job waiting for me. Then there's getting used to the new time zone that takes a few days. A little cultural adjustment happens whether it's seeing a bunch of brown people everywhere or feeling like a minority in a sea of white people...and reminding myself that I am a white!

This move - it's totally not the norm for me. Like, at all. I'm flying domestic - what is that? It's only costing me less than $120....which there's normally one more zero in that number and it's not at the beginning! I'm going to be shipping a few food items that most people don't even know what these items are used for that I use on a regular basis. I'm trying to figure out what to take and what can wait until I actually get my own place. I'm moving in with a family (which I've been assured of I'll fit right in) that has small children. 

I don't have a job. I need a car. I won't be able to get a license until I'm established with my own place. (Praise the Lord for HI licenses that expire 9 years after they've been issued!) Oh, and my flight time between two airplanes is a total of 2 hours and 35 minutes. That's a typical layover time. I'm also going to the same time zone. So my morning will really be my morning and my nighttime will really be my nighttime. In theory I won't be getting hungry or tired at the wrong time of the day!

There will be no in-flight entertainment, at least overhead. Some Southwest Airline flights have streaming to devices, which I'm hoping will be my flights, but I highly doubt it. I will be getting a free drink (I only drink water) and a bag of peanuts or pretzels (which I can't eat anyways) because the flight isn't long enough to serve meals. I won't know what to do with myself on these flights! I'll just be getting into the groove of my inflight routine and we'll be landing already...which I have no problem with at all!

Then there's the issue of my stuff. How am I going to eventually get it all down to wherever I'm living? I don't have an answer for that, but my all-knowing God does and I gladly leave that in His hands. I'm not going to lie, there have been times when I've just looked at my stuff and said, "What in the world do I take?!" Thankfully it's not like I'm moving across the ocean or anything.....

1 comment: