Thursday, July 10, 2014

Culture Shock, Ya'll

Um, I'm not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Everyone says ya'll.

People are seriously friendly...like, REALLY friendly. Makes me wonder what they want.

Boots. They. Are. EVERYWHERE! and rather expensive too.

The clothing choices in certain stores down here - camo, fringe, bejeweled everything.

When people speak, one syllable becomes two, two becomes three, and so on.

Obama bumper stickers aren't actually for Obama.

There aren't any hicks here, they're just all rednecks. (The redneck I live with will confirm this.)

It's totally easy to get into an accident with the way they do traffic flow at stop lights here. Not at all what I have ever seen. Gotta remember - turn left on a green arrow NOT a green light. So confusing!

Strangers talk to each other - like they are interested in what the other person does/is doing. I was at a car fix-it shop when these two men just started chatting it up.

There's a Sonic on every other corner.

Church's Chicken is real - remember that phone clip that was going around back in the early 2000's?

I have never seen so many Baptist churches in one city, ever!

There's a Robert E. Lee high school in this here town in the south.

At this one grocery store they don't ask if you want help out to your car, they just do it - and you don't have to tip them. 

Cowboy hats aren't just for wearing during a Western Theme - they wear them every day.

The news anchors and local commercials all have people with accents on them.

When I visited a church and the lady found out I came from Chicago I thought she was going to have a heart attack. She was very sweet and said - "Oh, you poor thing, this has got to be incredible culture shock for you!" It's not like I haven't gone through culture shock how many times in my life now!

Coming from Chicago where people honk at you if you don't hit the accelerator as soon as the light turns green....everyone around here seems to drive slow, as in slower than the speed limit. I'm constantly checking to see if I am speeding, but I'm not.

Food is cheaper here than in the last many places I've lived. Finally!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment