Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week 7 Recap


Sunday was a very relaxing day for me. We’re not normally in the volunteer quarters when the sun is going down…and I’m thankful for that during the week, as it can get very hot. Oh, but I am thankful for the heat as I hear stateside it’s getting colder every day!

Practicing my mommy-carrying-child skills.
Monday was probably the fastest day I’ve had here. One of my mamas was sick and the mama who is the filler for this shift was already filling in at another cottage. I decided to help out all day in there…and was so thankful that the babies seemed to be doing much better than last week.

I couldn't believe I fit on this boda boda...many children had to help push!
 Ah, the smells of Africa…on Tuesday during lunch the neighbor across the street decided to burn their rubbish. Naturally, there was an easterly wind so while we were on lunch break the smoke came wafting into the apartment and we smelled like bonfire the rest of the day. This is the exact smell I smelled when I stepped out of the airport and knew I was back in Africa. It was reminiscent of the smells from Kenya. 
Just a couple of monkeys hanging around.
We have been trying to figure out a good schedule for the babies. Since I’ve been here we are on our third one. This particular one seems like it will do really well. We are incorporating walks in the morning, outside sunshine time on the lawn when the big kids aren’t there as well as water play and music time. Today for the water play some of the kids screamed when they were placed near it…because they scream when they get their baths. Hopefully one day they’ll see the difference!

Am so thankful for the power of God’s Word! We are doing a Bible study through the book of James on a nightly basis. Total conviction 4:7-10 “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.”

Did you get that? How many of us, myself included, truly mourn over the fact that we sin against a holy God?! Not only that, but if we confess and ask for forgiveness – He gives it!!! By humbling myself I’m lifted up in Him. Mind boggling. God loves me that much. Truly undeserving.

Before....
We finished out the week with an ATV safari along the Nile. A few of us were going to go bungee jumping, but after talking to a few people, we decided not to. So glad we did this instead as it was much longer and just all around hilarious and fun! We weren’t sure how much fun we could have with the ATV, so while at the back of the group, I started fish tailing…then slowly I moved to the front of the group and what I was doing didn’t look a s bad as one girl getting stuck twice not really doing anything. Our guide finally started doing fish tails himself, so I knew we were ok…as long as we didn’t tip!

I will say though, that I was completely lost while on this little “safari”. We drove by the Nile twice, but the rest of the time we were going in and out of villages. We talked a little about that afterwards…we were driving right in front of people’s houses and through their fields. There is no way in America that people would let others do that. We saw so many children too – as soon as they heard us they came running; many just to say hi to the mzungus, but many to see if they could get a handout.  It rained on us at the beginning, but the sun eventually came out. It turned out to be such a gorgeous afternoon. Was thankful for the rain and as it wasn’t that dusty.

 
After.
I cannot believe that I only have 5 weeks left. I praise the Lord for what He’s done in my life while here and am planning on embracing many more moments with my babies while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment